Epoxy Board Care
Stand Up Paddling on rivers is a new sport with new tools. Badfish is bringing you boards that are designed and built for the environment, but there are some simple things you need to know about your board before you get started. Your River Surfer or MVP are EPS foam cores with an extra heavy duty fiberglass & epoxy resin laminate. The Sharkskin MVP’s have an added layer on the bottom and up the rails to enhance durability. This lay up makes these boards high performance, responsive, light and surf well. However you can not treat these boards like a plastic kayak. They are sports cars, avoid the potholes. While these boards will not ding easily, they can ding. Its no big deal, they are easily fixed, but you can avoid serious damage by following these tips:
- The most important thing to remember if you ding your board is to dry it out thoroughly. Set the board up where the ding is the lowest point and let it dry for 24-48 hours.
- There are a ton of resources on the internet for ding repair. Google “Epoxy Surfboard Repair” and you will get more information than you need. Or email us and we’ll point you in the right direction. You can repair a board with materials found at your local hardware store.
- Pick up some Puka Patch or similar ding patches to throw in your kit so you can keep a ding dry while you keep paddling.
- Use rack pads and padded straps to tie your board down. Be careful sandwiching you board on your roof rack.
- Store your board out of the sun.
- Use soft rubber fins like the FCS-M5 or FCS Dolphin Soft Flex
We are always here to help so shoot us an email or give us a call and we’ll talk you through any concerns you have with you board.