|Introducing the newest addition to the Badfish inflatable lineup the FLYWEIGHT! Weighing in at only 18 pounds, the Flyweight weighs less and packs down even smaller and easier than your average inflatable paddleboard. Our new AirLite drop stitch technology allows us to shed weight without compromising rigidity and durability. We are so proud to announce that the FLYWEIGHT design is also the winner of Outside Magazine's Gear of the Year Award for 2021! The board comes equipped with all the features and quality you would expect from Badfish, including a removable water bottle holder, removable fins, built-in action camera mount, and tie-downs.|
|UNDAM THE KLAM!!! By Spencer Lacy Photos by: Lance Ostrom and Spencer Lacy The 4 lower dams on the Klamath River in Southern Oregon / Northern California are slated for complete removal by 2024 in the largest dam removal project in history, so naturally two buddies and I decided to paddle (and portage) the entire section that will become free flowing… all the way to the ocean. We plan to repeat the trip after the removals and get the full before and after picture from the river runner’s perspective. Get the full story from Spencer himself in a interview on the Badfish SUP Journal podcast!|
-Written by: Hannah Ray J
I accomplished many things in 2020. Some things I would have never thought of if it wasn’t for our current and ongoing unprecedented times. What things were they may you wonder?
• I made a frog sculpture out of two old wheel barrows with my mother
• I made a homemade barbell and weight set with the help of my main squeeze Marty. We named it the Fred Flintstone Fitness Set.
• I celebrated the 2 year old birthday of my SCOBY.
• I learned a phonics monkey, McNasty, split wheel, and stern squirt.
• I grew way too many carrots in my garden
• I canned 50+ quarts of apple juice
• I learned my mother used to camp out in parking lots with her friend. (No wonder where I got it from?!)
• I started a whitewater mentorship in my community
• I learned what a Derecho is from first hand experience
• I pierced my fingers more times than I can count sewing a neck hug for my dog
• I dubbed a new to me sport called “hiking with fishing poles”
• Surfed under the Strawberry Moon
• Named a section of river “The section of tears” Ask for the story if you’re so inclined.
What does all of this have to do with river surfing? Well, some it very little, but it’s all about balance for me. The balance of working at my day job, juggling family commitments, eating whole foods, exercising, tending to living things, and pursuing my endless endeavor of whitewater kayaking and river surfing!
This year the majority of my river surfing was spent at my home wave, DD Wave, on the Cedar River in Charles City Iowa. Flows were awesome until July of this year. I was able to squeeze in many hours of river surfing while there was water. From snow and 30-degree water to hot, humid horsefly-biting, the hours in the river are always worth it to me. Lots of fellow kayaking peeps grabbed a board this year too!
Check out the highlights video and keep #surfIOWA on your hit list.
-Hannah Ray J
Let’s face it, 2020 was a class V year, making it to the end still standing has felt somewhat impossible. But 2021 is just around the corner and while the future remains uncertaint we want you to go into it feeling strong! Here are our TOP 10 things to help you get ready and excited for the 2021 paddling season!
1. The Badfish SUP Journal Podcast
We started a podcast earlier this year and believe it's a great way for us to feel connected to our community. Hear from Olympic kayaker Rebecca Giddens to feel inspired, start planning trips after listening to Dan Gaveres top paddling destinations, and get excited for some multi-day trips with our episode on self-support stand up paddling.
2. Natali Zollinger's Workouts
Get fit and ready for your 2021 paddling and river surfing adventures with team rider Natali Zollinger's Garmin Fitness workout series.
3. Get Stoked Badfish Video Playlist on Repeat
4. Tis' the Season for River Permit Applications & Trip Planning.
It's virtual permit party time! Connect with your friends and lock in some dates to apply for river permits on some of the most coveted rivers in the United States' like Dinosaur National Monument on the Green, the Rogue River in Oregon, or the Middle Fork or Main of the Salmon. The lottery closes February 1 2021.
5. How-To Videos to Start Visualizing Your Paddling and River Surfing Technique.
6. Carve the Concrete with Surf Dayton Skateboard Decks
7. Rowing Machine Workout
Maintaining that paddling strength by hopping on the rowing machine for a quick but not so easy workout.
Rowing Machine Workout: 2000 Meters in 7 minutes 4x a week
8. Learn to Patch and Repair Surfboard Dings
9. The Eddy Out Podcast
A new river podcast co-hosted by team riders Natali Zollinger and Brittany Parker.
10. BP's Let's Go Surfing Spotify Playlist
Happy 2021 everyone and we are just as stoked as you are to get back on the water as much as possible in 2021!
Our new Podcast the "Badfish SUP Journal" is live on Apple, Spotify and Google. The mission of the new Podcast is to share some story-telling, interviews and technical tips from the our community and the larger paddling community. The first episode features an interview with a true legend of paddling, Charlie Macarthur "C-Mac". C-Mac shares his story of how he first discovered stand up paddling on the south shore of Oahu in the 70's! Check out the first episode and look for future episodes every couple of weeks. We hope we can provide some interesting content in this period of forced isolation to keep your stoke for paddling alive! Please subscribe to the pod, rate and review the first episode and send in your comments or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks and see you on the water! -Mike Harvey